Ms. Meadows Steps Down from SGA

Ms. Meadows outside her classroom
Ms. Meadows outside her classroom

Stephanie Meadows, one of the beloved Health teachers at our school, is stepping down from her role on the Student Government Association (SGA). Meadows served as sponsor of the executive board and was involved in many of our school’s events. She has held this role on the SGA for 19 years, but her participation in student government dates back to her own high school years.

“I’ve always liked working with kids in different groups. Even in high school I was in SGA, so it was just a natural fit,” Meadows said.

For many students, our school’s pep rallies are highly anticipated events. The teachers’ rap battles and football team dances are the product of many meetings between Meadows and the members of SGA. As part of the executive board, Meadows gives the majority of recognition to her students.

“The students come up with ideas and we kind of talk through if it’s a good idea or not [and] if it’s feasible. And then usually I get the supplies if needed, but the kids pretty much make it happen,” Meadows said.

Students in every grade remember their time with Meadows fondly while on the executive board of SGA. Because she has been so involved with students over the years, Meadows has made a lasting impact on our school’s government.

“Ms. Meadows was so dedicated, and she made SGA so fun. Even when we had to do work, she made it enjoyable and made me want to keep doing it,” Junior Class Vice President Georgia Hardeman said.

The 2023-24 school year was Meadows’ final year on the board, and it did not disappoint. She helped to plan the Back to School Barbecue and Homecoming, some of the year’s biggest events. Meadows’ appreciation for her time with the SGA is obvious from the way she speaks of her experiences.

“It’s been a long time, and as much as I love it, I feel like I need to let it go. Give someone else a chance to do it. Go out on top,” Meadows said.

In regards to the next steps for our school’s SGA leader, Meadows is passing the baton to Ryan Zito, who teaches AP Psychology and AP Government. Meadows’ 19 years of service are celebrated by the students she advised on the executive board, and she is now moving on to other things. She says she is looking forward to having the opportunity to focus on other projects outside of school with her new free time.