Best Arlington Day Trips

Colonial Williamsburg day trip.
Colonial Williamsburg day trip.
Johnas Sadauskas

Arlington is extremely lucky to be situated so close to so many attractions and cities. Here are a few day trips you can take if you are feeling in the mood for an adventure.

Skyline Drive: A staple destination for anyone searching for a trip here in Virginia is Skyline Drive. Nestled in the heart of the Shenandoah National Park, the drive offers breathtaking views of the Blue Ridge Mountains. There are over 70 overlooks during the three-hour long drive, as well as numerous hikes and waterfalls. Located a mere two hours away from Arlington, this expedition is a must-see for anyone in the area.

Baltimore: Only an hour drive, Baltimore is an excellent choice for a fun day trip. Perhaps most notably, it is home to the National Aquarium, housing more than 700 species and attracting more than 1 million visitors annually. Afterwards, you can tour the city’s numerous museums and finish the day watching a baseball game at the renowned Oriole Park at Camden Yards, home to the Baltimore Orioles.

Philadelphia: Being able to go to Philadelphia for the day is a huge perk of living in the D.C. area. It takes a few hours to get there, depending on traffic, but the sightseeing and attractions available make the drive worth it. The Franklin Institute is a popular attraction that gives viewers a chance to immerse themselves in interactive exhibits, showcasing the inner workings of technology, human anatomy, city layouts and so much more. It is also a great city for foodies, as Philadelphia offers a large variety of restaurants.

Whitetail Resort: Only an hour and a half away, Whitetail Resort is the perfect place for skiing and a short day trip. Although the snow conditions can vary, if you are looking to get on the slopes Whitetail is the local place for you. Additionally, Epic Pass holders have access to the resort all winter long, making the visit worthwhile for pass holders.

Kings Dominion and Hershey park: The holy grail of day trips are the amusement parks. With both Kings Dominion and Hersheypark nearby, they are the perfect place to enjoy a nice summer day. The parks have rides and attractions for people of all ages. From Planet Snoopy at Kings Dominion to the massive roller coasters at Hersheypark, these amusement parks are great fun for anyone looking for a bit of adventure and thrill.

Williamsburg: Visiting Colonial Williamsburg provides guests an interesting look into the daily lives of those living in the colonies. There is a village of colonial-style houses, some replicas and some real. The paths are used by people and horses alike, providing a realistic view of what life was like in that time. Professional actors donned in historically accurate clothing gives viewers an authentic experience found nowhere else. Williamsburg is also home to William and Mary, a prestigious Virginia university known for its excellent academics and campus life. It is surrounded by nature, with a rich history dating back to the 17th century. Visiting this area can provide historical information and a college-tour in a beautiful natural setting.

Maryland Renaissance Fair: The Maryland Renaissance Fair in Annapolis runs for just short of a dozen weekends every summer and into early fall. The fair is a chance for people to explore life in the past, providing a chance to discover what life was like during medieval times. The fair features numerous activities, including axe throwing, archery, falconry and lots of shopping. While there, be sure to sample and take advantage of the numerous medieval dishes. With the trip being less than an hour, the Renaissance Fair is a great day trip for anyone in the area.

With this many cool places to visit, all within a few hours away from here, you can easily turn your day around from a normal, boring day, to one for the photo albums.