A Goodbye to Our Sentry Seniors

A Goodbye to Our Sentry Seniors

In these last few weeks before summer, high school is coming to a close for seniors. Regardless of how long they have been on staff, all thirteen seniors — a mix of reporters, editors and photographers — have made The Sentry a true family. 

As for their favorite memories of their time on the paper, there were a few different popular responses. 

The Newseum:

“My favorite memory from The Sentry has definitely been going to the Newseum. We stopped doing that because they shut down, but that was always my favorite trip, and it was really fun to bond during that time with my friends on The Sentry during that,” Photo Editor Ella McNamee said. 

“I have a lot of favorite memories, but I think my top one would be sophomore year when we went to the Newseum and it was Maren’s birthday and it was so fun. We were all just hanging out and we go to talk and pretend to be broadcasters,” reporter Evelyn Lowen said. 

One Day Issue:

“I think my favorite memory would be both of the One Day [issues] because the whole class got to be together the whole day, and I think it was a really good bonding experience that made me appreciate the class more,” Style Editor Maren Stroup said. 

“My favorite memory is the One Day Issue from this year. It was my first One Day Issue and it was really fun and I loved experiencing doing a whole issue in one day and getting to hang out with the class for a whole day,” Opinion Editor Yasmina Mansour said. 

“My favorite memory for The Sentry honestly was the One Day Issue this year. I know it was only a couple weeks ago, but it was so fun because all of the seniors especially bonded that day and had a lot of fun while running around the school. It was just a really fun day,” Sports Editor Julia Teixeira said. 

“Has to be the One Day Issue. It was by far the best day,” photographer Alexander Zur said. 

“One Day Issue. We didn’t get to do it during covid, so this was my first one. It was super fun, just experiencing how normal newspapers operate. How big boy newspapers operate. How real-world newspapers operate. Just running around the school all day with my boys and getting the food. Also writing meaningful articles and hanging out with the squad,” reporter Owen McArdle said. 

“My favorite memory would have to be the One Day Issue this year because we didn’t do it during COVID, so it was really fun to see everyone come together and produce the paper in one day. We had a lot of fun and it was cool being a senior for this especially,” Copy Editor Zoe Foose said. 

Holiday Parties:

“It was probably Valentine’s Day because that felt like the first time in a while where the entire class came together and appreciated each other. The atmosphere that day was very warm and everyone was bonding in a way I hadn’t felt in a while,” Copy Editor Lillian Keith said. 

“I definitely loved the little holiday parties that Ms. Wiedemann would have and organize. Those were always fun. I also love whoever’s on aux; I love the music,” photographer Sophie Sprinkel said. 

Some seniors have a single unique favorite memory, and others have an extensive list.

“I think my favorite memory was at the end of my freshman year. That summer, we were working on the senior issue and we hadn’t finished by the end of the school year, so we had to come in during the summer. We got to work together on this paper issue and it felt like an actual newspaper and that was when I got to know some of my closest friends for the rest of my time on the Sentry,” News Editor Lizzie Koumans said. 

“I have memories going back to freshman year. I remember when I was a freshman I sat in the corner with a bunch of juniors and all I did the entire day for most of freshman year was play this game called shell shockers. The premise is you were an egg with a gun. It was a very good team-building activity. That’s kind of how I was indoctrinated into The Sentry family. But also the One Day Issue was the most fun day of Sentry ever. Not only was it awesome to hang out with all of the people who aren’t just my colleagues on this paper but also my friends. I was also just very proud of everybody that day; I thought that everyone got their work done. We did everything productively and also had a ton of fun,” Head Editor Ryan Cole said. 

“One of my favorite memories is when I hid Ryan’s backpack in the podium on Obetts’ side of the room and he didn’t find it for an hour. He was irate but it was so funny. Pulling those pranks with each other was always a good time…I would say The Sentry’s One Day Issue was a real highlight for me. It was really nice that we spent the entire day together because this community is pretty awesome and not having to go to class, just eating food and hanging out the entire day was pretty awesome. In addition to the One Day Issue, I would say that pretty much every day of Sentry is awesome because I get to walk in, hang out and play ball game with Ryan. It’s the class to look forward to every day,” Head Editor Philip Blumberg said. 

Time on The Sentry has taught seniors valuable life lessons that they will continue to use after they graduate.

“My main takeaway is going to be leadership, but also working with other people,” McNamee said. 

“The school stuff, like writing quickly, which I could not do before last year, but more than that the people I’ve met and the memories I’ve made in this class. It’s been a really nice environment with having people to talk to every single day; it’s a really great community,” Keith said. 

“I’m going to take away everything I’ve learned from all of the editors I’ve worked with in the past and those I’m working with now, and also just the environment of the class and how everybody is nice to each other. I’m going to take that along with all that Wiedz has taught me to my next few years in college,” Stroup said. 

“I think the biggest thing I’ve taken away, being a reporter for two years and an editor for two, was really learning how to work in a group with my peers. You don’t get that community aspect in a lot of other classes,” Koumans said. 

“As a reporter, I think my main takeaway is trying things that you might not think you’re going to be good at, and allowing yourself to try those things and surprise yourself. For me, going into being a reporter I really did not want to write news and I really did not think I’d be good at news, but I did a few times and it turned out pretty decent,” Mansour said. 

“I’ve definitely learned a lot about photography. Ella is such a good editor and working with everyone else. I’ve just learned so much,” Sprinkel said. 

“The Sentry was my first real experience with leadership at this school, so I think I’m going to take a lot of the leadership skills I’ve learned from the Sentry and branch off into my college experience and whatever comes next for me,” Teixeira said.

“The privilege of leading yourself every day, and not having a teacher always leading you was the biggest thing for me. It was the only class that I’ve ever had that be the case in,” Zur said. 

“I think it’s really important to have a class in high school where you have free reign over your interests and what you want to write about. The Sentry just really allows you to choose more. You can choose what you want to write about and what areas and topics you want to explore. It was really fun to be a part of,” McArdle said. 

“Freshman year I was not a good writer at all, so definitely my writing has improved a lot, especially with everyone’s help and edits. I’m a much better writer now,” Lowen said. 

“From an editorial aspect, I learned a lot of grammar rules I can apply to my own writing. Though I’ll have more in college, I think Sentry has been a good introduction to that sort of freedom since as an editor we got to lead the class and collaborate as students with a little teacher presence. That was nice because I think it’s similar to college,” Foose said. 

“Any class you take with Ms. Wiedemann, you’re going to learn more about writing than you will with any other teacher in the school. Wiedz is a special writing teacher for both her English classes and newspaper. That will be a takeaway for me. I wouldn’t be half the writer I am today without her and prior editors and peers in the class who’ve edited my work. It’s the life lessons I’ll take away at the end of the day that will be the most important. Especially this year I’ve learned more about leadership than I ever thought was possible in a school setting. That will be invaluable for me in the future. I went into this flying blind and we’ve made some mistakes but at the end of the day we’ve learned how to be leaders and I don’t know that there is any other opportunity in this school that really teaches that as much as this does. I’m super grateful for it,” Cole said. 

“This class has helped me grow, not only as a writer and a journalist but also as a person. How to treat others with respect, how to be professional and so many life lessons. This class has helped me more than any other class to become a better writer. As I look back on this class in a few years, I’ll remember more about learning how to act right….There is no other class where you have an editor team that really makes a bunch, if not all, of the big decisions in class every single day. Ryan and I have to decide every day what we are going to do. We’re editors but were almost like teachers half the time. I think learning how to lead a class like that has been a completely invaluable experience,” Blumberg said. 

The consensus of what seniors will miss about The Sentry is clear: the people. 

“The community is what I am going to miss. Every day is really different, but there are constants that I will miss the most, like the atmosphere of the class. We always have the music going and having conversations with different people; I don’t think I would have gotten this experience in any other class,” Keith said. 

“The camaraderie of the class is like no other, I’m really going to miss how close everybody is in here. So I’m going to miss that the most but the class really did teach me how to be a good leader. I’m thankful for that,” McNamee said. 

“I’m definitely going to miss the community the most because, at the beginning of the year, it’s always nerve-racking going to new classes but I always had Sentry and knew what it was going to be like. I’m going to miss that the most,” Stroup said. 

“I think I’m mostly going to miss the community of the class. Although it’s had its ups and downs, it has always been something to return to and a big part of high school for me for all four years. It was like a home base to me. I’m also really going to miss Wiedz because she has been such a great mentor and a friend to me for all four years of high school, ” Koumans said. 

“I am really going to miss being an editor. The thing about being an editor is you get to spend so much time working one-on-one with reporters and different people in the class. That is the main thing I’m going to miss. I’m also really going to miss the connections I’ve built with other people through editing,” Mansour said. 

“This class is such a chill class. And also just the photo team, they’re great,” Sprinkel said.

“This is a generic answer, but just the people. I’m going to miss all of my friends and all of the shenanigans that go down and Wiedz and just having a community you bond with and people that care about you. Everything really,” Teixeira said.

“Ball game and Ryan Cole. The vibes are always good when Owen is on aux, and taking pictures is always fun. It’s what I like to do,” Zur said. 

“Ball game, my wonderful head editors and just the amazing group we have. It’s always amazing to come in, get some music playing and write. It’s just such a nice environment. I’m definitely going to miss that,” McArdle said. 

“I think I’m definitely going to miss the people the most because this is one of my only classes where throughout high school everyone has been really kind and supportive. You really feel like you can ask anyone for advice on your article, it’s a very supportive class environment,” Lowen said. 

“I’d have to say the people and the community. The editor meetings were always fun. I’m also just going to miss Ms. Wiedemann. She has been a mentor for me since freshman year; she has been great to have by my side,” Foose said. 

“What I’ll miss most is just those normal typical days where I walk in and I know that I’m going to have an awesome, fun time in this class no matter what happens….Walking in the class. I’ll miss Wiedz a lot. I’ll miss all of you guys so much. The whole familial feeling,” Blumberg said. 

“I’ll miss everybody. I’ll miss Wiedz. I’ll miss working with Phil every day. I’ll miss working with the editorial staff every day. I’ll miss having something to accomplish every day and feeling that accomplishment after we get it done. I’ll miss the ball game. I’ll miss sitting in the front playing Wordle with somebody. I’ll tell ya what I won’t miss — I won’t miss people stealing my backpack,” Cole said. 

For seniors, their time on The Sentry has been a defining part of their high school experience. As these next few weeks close this chapter of their lives, it is important to lift them up with excitement for the future. Whatever it may bring, we know that all thirteen will go on to do amazing things, and we could not be more proud.