The Town Prepares for Basketball Season

The Town Prepares for Basketball Season

With the end of fall sports, players and students alike are looking forward to the upcoming basketball season. Beginning in November, our school’s 2021-2022 basketball season has been and will continue to be altered by new COVID-19 restrictions.

Our school’s 2020-2021 season was characterized by new and unfamiliar regulations. Since daily testing was not an option yet, players were required to wear masks in the gym during practices and games. Additionally, spectators were not allowed to take the stands and cheer for their team. 

“It was definitely weird. It was hard to play in a mask,” senior Chris Short said. 

The upcoming season will have looser COVID-19 restrictions due to the availability of vaccines for high school aged students. Regardless of vaccination status, players will have the option to undergo daily testing or wear a mask during practices and games. 

“We are lucky to have the resources to be able to COVID test all of our indoor athletes everyday, which allows us to play without masks,” Director of Student Activities Michael Cuefried said. 

Despite the challenges faced last season, our school’s team made program history with a Liberty District Championship and an appearance in the regional semifinals. Short believes Head Coach Reed’s press system, a unique version of offensive play, is to thank for their monumental success.

“Coach Reed [implemented this method]. We started that three years ago and we went from a 6 win team to a 20 win team our first year,” Short said. 

This year, tough games such as Madison and Centreville will test the team as well as entertain viewers. The Washington-Liberty game is also expected to be high stakes due to the long time rivalry between the two schools. 

These rousing matchups will draw many spectators, who will be expected to wear masks regardless of their vaccination status.

“Any limitations on the number of spectators would be based on capacity and COVID at the time. No decisions have fully been made, but at this point spectators will definitely be allowed at games,” Cuefried said. 

Hopefully, the energy from the crowd’s cheers for our school will help motivate our ambitious athletes, who will work hard to top their previous successful season. 

“Winning the districts is probably our biggest goal, and then going back to the regionals and hopefully getting in the top 4 or 8 in that,” Short said. 

Along with talent itself, the team’s camaraderie contributes to their success. These two traits will make this basketball season one to remember.

“I’m excited; everyone on the team is really close this year, so hopefully it’ll be a good year,” Short said.