March 14 Walkout: #Enough

March 14 Walkout: #Enough

On any normal March school day at 10 a.m., it would be unlikely to see any students on Greenbriar field, not even the bundled-up physical education students trudging around the track. However, March 14, 2018 was no regular school day. Today, students across the nation walked out of their scheduled classes to call for stricter gun laws and honor the 17 students killed at Marjory Stoneman Douglas (MSD) High School in Parkland, Florida a month ago. Here at Yorktown, students took the initiative to organize the walkout and make sure that other students were able to participate as well.

“The process of organization started with Jordan Joseph and I, and in light of recent threats we wanted to get administration involved. We created a task force of involved teen leaders in the Yorktown community and talked about logistics with them,” junior Beyla Richman said.

During the walkout, students were encouraged to write letters to Senators Tim Kaine and Mark Warner. While this was taking place, a few students also read aloud blurbs about each of the 17 students that were killed in the Parkland shooting over the loudspeaker. In the letters, students asked their representatives to implement stricter gun laws, showing that the purpose of this protest goes beyond just 17 minutes. It is more than just walking out of school – it is about creating a wave of change in legislation. In addition, eligible students were encouraged to register to vote if they had not already done so, and steps to start the registration process were listed for all to read.

“There were about eight or nine of us that made posters, collected letters and made samples to give guidance to how others could write theirs. We collected baskets and tables and put them all up like half an hour before the walkout started… We had a [public address] PA system so we could read off names and stories of all the victims,” senior Peyton Jernigan said.

Although this was a student-run event, the administration was also involved for safety and liability reasons. The class schedule was rearranged to move Patriot Period, a free period, to the time of the walkout. This allowed both teachers and students to walk out without missing class time, and it ensured that students would be supervised during the protest. Both the Arlington County Superintendent Dr. Patrick Murphy and members of the School Board attended the walkout.

“The administration was able to give us a platform to speak while still keeping it a student-run event, and [the administration] was able to keep the event safe and orderly,” senior Owen Gorman said.

“We were a little hesitant about moving Patriot Period, but I think it made it easier for people to get to write the letters and walk out. It was frustrating that [the administration] moved a lot of things, but it was important that it was organized, and they really helped with that,” Jernigan said.  

With over 300 students present at the walkout and over 150 letters written, it is clear that students are demanding change. The movement prompted by the students of MSD has spread across the country and shown that teenagers are determined to make their voices heard.

“Students are trying to get the message across that we care and we matter. Our voices should not be ignored just because we’re kids. Truth is we aren’t kids. We’ve been forced to grow up young due to the events happening in our country. We’ve been forced to act like the adults and speak up about what is wrong here,” junior Sydney Stropes said.

“The students are trying to get across that we are angry and want change and want it now. By doing this walkout at school we wanted to show that this issue is bipartisan and can and should be supported on both sides of the aisle,” Richman said.

“I think the message of the walkout was that students are tired of not being heard, and are ready to take action together to ensure that all schools are safe from gun violence. The walkout also advertised to students how they can make a difference, by voting in local elections or by writing to their representatives,” Gorman said.

Students today had various reasons as to why they personally chose to participate in the protest.

“I chose to get involved in the walkout because I wanted to help in any way I could to get the message across that gun violence has no place in schools. As a student, it is my responsibility to take action and change what needs to be changed,” Gorman said.

“I chose to be apart of the walk out because what is being allowed in our country today is unacceptable. Kids are dying, being slaughtered in the halls of a building they should feel safe in. Nothing is happening though. For years this has been going on and for years there has been silence in the government. It’s about time someone speaks, if the politicians won’t the students will,” Stropes said.

“I just think ‘why not?’ It really relates to us as students, because of all the students that were killed… Since Sandy Hook, there have been 7,000 children killed [in schools],” junior Zoe Coutlakis said.

“I am very passionate about gun control and making people feel safe at school. If kids do not feel safe when they are going to school, then we can’t prepare them for their future. And so I really think we need to get our voices heard and get some real change happening in this country,” junior Ryan Kovarovics said.

The reality of the situation is that students’ lives are not the only ones that are affected by the numerous school shootings. Teachers, faculty and staff are at risk as well, and many of them were also present for the walkout.

“I believe that the lives of our students, my colleagues and myself are of the utmost importance. The Constitution grants us explicitly the right to life, and in my opinion that trumps everything else,” advanced placement government teacher Ryan Zito said.

“I want to support the students, I want to do a walkout, so I am out here to support you all,” physics teacher Dan Carroll said.

The power, strength and determination shown by students today is clear evidence that the Florida shooting will not be soon forgotten and huge change is underway. Whether or not one agrees with gun control, it is undeniable that the activism displayed by the young adults all over America is inspiring and shows that this rising generation will create the change that they want to see in the world.