Y!Speak: Construction

By Dylan Bailey

Sentry Staff Reporter

Running into construction zones while driving seems inevitable at this point. All over the streets, there seems to be an excess of roadwork taking place.  Here are a few perspectives on the new construction outburst in Arlington.

James Carroll, sophomore: Personally, I really like the construction because it means smoother roads. Just look at Yorktown Boulevard for example, it is an extremely smooth ride and the construction did not take that long. However, there are some places where it feels like the construction workers have been working on forever with little progress. Other than that I really like where the construction is headed.

Ida Namazi, junior: It can be hard to drive with them around, but the end result will be worth it. As of now, traffic is a mess, but after all the construction is done, traffic will probably be easier to deal with. To be honest, the worst traffic is probably around Yorktown itself, and that has to do with construction, and student driving.

Kalina Newman, sophomore: I really think that the construction is necessary for some of the roads but they seem to be taking a long time doing it. For example on Williamsburg Boulevard I cannot get to my house because of the road work. I have to pull up and tell them that I cannot get to my house and they finally let me in. One time my friend could not pick me up for practice because my street was blocked off for construction, which was not helpful. I ultimately think that it is worth it though, some roads really needed the work done, even if construction is annoying.

Noelle McDonald, freshman: It’s kind of inconvenient to have it going on right now, it would have probably been better to do it over spring break, because my sister drives me to school and construction is always in the way.  I do not think it is necessary that they need to do it right now.

Phoebe Amend, sophomore: There is one word for the construction on the roads: inconvenient. At first I was okay with fixing a few of the roads but now it is everywhere and will not go away. You have to go out of your way to avoid construction and take too many detours. At this point the cons definitely outweigh the pros.

David Giordano, senior: This construction is insane. I understand that roads need upkeep but we do not need a median on every single road. The median in front of the school and the one they just put in at Harrison are a total waste of money. Also, once they start the work, how hard is it to finish it? It does not take two months to repave a road.”