Best Snacks for Santa

Most+people+believe+that+the+only+snack+one+can+give+to+Santa+Claus+consists+of+cookies+and+a+glass+of+milk.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Best Snacks for Santa

Most people believe that the only snack one can give to Santa Claus consists of cookies and a glass of milk.

Emogen Kelly

Emogen Kelly

Emogen Kelly

Charles Finn, Sentry Staff Reporter

Most people believe that the only snack you can give to Santa Claus consists of cookies and a glass of milk. Although this has been written in children’s books for years, there is definitely some leeway as to what you can set out for him. It is known that Santa consumes at least 336 million cookies every Christmas and, since he has been doing this for centuries, it has probably taken its toll on his body. There are many ways that you can help him out in what you leave for him to eat. Foods high in fiber or foods that speed up metabolism are much better for keeping our jolly friend strong and healthy.

Cookie Alternatives: Gingerbread cookies or Whole Wheat cookies

Chocolate chip cookies are definitely a fan favorite; however, as the holiday season rolls around, gingerbread sometimes steals the spotlight. It is just as delicious and it happens to contain similar benefits to that of green tea. Much like Green tea, ginger speeds up metabolism by up to 20%. Gingerbread also usually contains fewer calories than a chocolate chip cookie due to its thin composure.

Adding whole wheat to your chocolate chip cookies recipe can also help Santa out. Whole wheat contains a ton of fiber which, besides speeding up digestion, also slows the movement of sugar into the bloodstream which can help prevent type 2 diabetes.  This is precisely the kind of nutrition that Santa needs.

Triple chocolate cookies are also a great alternative. Similarly to whole wheat, chocolate has many different benefits. Usually seen as a fattening or unhealthy food, chocolate actually contains a lot of fiber. As you may know, chocolate has small amounts of caffeine. This can help Santa stay awake on his long journey as well as increase his work rate, both things he definitely needs.

Beverage Alternatives: Green Tea or Chocolate milk

A glass of milk definitely is a refreshing beverage to enjoy over a hard nights work; however, simply adding chocolate helps speed up the digestion rate that is necessary to eat 336 million cookies. Cocoa has both soluble and insoluble fibers that help aid proper digestion.

Another and possibly better option is Green tea. It does not have the valuable fibers that cocoa contains; however, it does speed up metabolism. Just one glass can help burn up to 100 more calories per hour, an advantage that undoubtedly works on Santa’s side. In addition, the natural caffeine received through the tea helps raise energy expenditure while simultaneously increasing the amount of fat burned, something that Santa could definitely benefit from.

There are many of alternatives to the classic milk and cookies. By simply adding whole wheat to your usual cookie recipe or offering chocolate milk instead of white milk, you can easily help Santa out. These alternatives are much better for his health and will allow him to continue giving to children for years to come.