Lindsey Bowers and Ben Stoffel

Lindsey Bowers and Ben Stoffel give the camera a thumbs up.

While Ryan Lochte, Michael Phelps and Katie Ledecky were tearing it up in Rio de Janeiro this summer, sophomore Lindsey Bowers was in a more humble setting, gliding through the crystal blue water of the swimming pool at Overlee. Bowers also confessed that the best thing to happen to her this past year was swimming related.

“The best thing to happen to me this past year would probably be switching my winter swim club,” Bowers said.

Out of the water, the indigenous Arlingtonian enjoys hanging out with friends and drooling over celebrity crush Scott Eastwood in her spare time.  In her interview, Bowers shared that her most desirable developing nation destination would be Costa Rica. She was also asked about someone who has been the most influential on how she lives her life.

“I would say my mom, [because] she definitely inspires me, and is probably my biggest role model in my life,” Bowers said. “She influences a lot of things.”

Bowers also told me that her favorite news story is an article that uncovered the age to be criminally prosecuted is much earlier than commonly thought. She likes it because it is a good warning flag for high school students, and encourages them to make good? decisions. When the idea of vandalising school property came up in conversation, Bowers revealed that if she were to paint something on the rock outside the student parking lot, it would be a turtle.

“Maybe a turtle. ‘Cause turtles are kind of cool, and I like turtles,” Bowers said.

When she is finished with homework and the long day is over, Bowers enjoys flicking on the television and watching episodes of her favorite shows, namely The Fosters and The Middle.

Bringing a vibrant personality and a beaming smile with her to class every day, it is clear that the Sentry has gained an exceptional new recruit in Lindsey Bowers.

As he listens to his favorite artist, Andre 3000, senior Ben Stoffel reflects on how grateful he is for his friends, who inspired him to join The Sentry. Stoffel is a second year staff member and Opinion Editor, who is known for his cheerful smile and responsibility. Stoffel has had a great experience on staff and has enjoyed getting to know all the cool people.

Stoffel’s role model is his father, and he just so happens to take after his dad’s humor and likable personality. Family traditions are extremely important to Stoffel. Hopeful of carrying on a family legacy, Stoffel describes his dream job for the future.

“I want to be in the Navy after college. My dad was in the Navy and my grandpa [was too]. So I want to keep that tradition going.”

Stoffel describes himself in three words as “responsible, talkative and outgoing.” Stoffel’s personality traits help him on the field as well. He plays varsity lacrosse and loves it. For someone as bold as Stoffel, it comes as no surprise that his spirit animal would be either a bear or an eagle, both brave and daring.

Stoffel had a great summer and even discovered a great movie, but he is unsure of its name.

“It was a western movie with Chris Pine, about people who rob banks,” said Stoffel.

Although there are many places in the world Stoffel could live the rest of his life, he would choose England.

“I would say England. There is so much there, I have been there twice and I still missed out on stuff to do,” Stoffel said.

Every year, seniors come and go. This outgoing and friendly guy will surely be missed as he leaves Yorktown this June. The Sentry is lucky to have such a great person on staff.