New Faces in the Crowd

New Faces in the Crowd

Entering the cycle of this year’s athletic seasons, a number of Yorktown’s sports teams will have new faces coaching them. Freshmen football, junior varsity and freshman field hockey and varsity boys basketball will all have different coaches at the helm. For the varsity field hockey team, the previous JV coach will be assuming the role of varsity.

Perhaps the most notable passing of the torch is from long-time varsity basketball coach Richard Avila to newcomer Joe Reed. However, by no means is he inexperienced, as he has coached for fourteen years at the college and high school levels. He has spent eight years coaching basketball at Springfield College, Catholic University and Marymount University, in addition to a series of high school positions.  

“When I heard the job was open, I thought it would be a perfect fit…I know the players, the community, and I teach in the school district,” said Reed.

He is already very familiar with Yorktown players– he has recruited them as a college coach and had them work at his camps over the summer. This familiarity will be a huge advantage for the team going into this season.

So far, Reed has focused on improving communication among his players, and hopes to develop their character while still being a successful team.

“From a coaching standpoint, if I am thinking about my goals for the future, then I am not in the present moment,” said Reed.

He does not want to add the unnecessary pressure of goals to his team, but instead construct a winning program from the ground floor up. Reed knows that if his players work hard, the results will come.

“Everyone who has shown up to green days or open gym has had a positive attitude, and they understand that the slate is clean,” said Reed.

Look for the revamped basketball team to make a statement this year.

Sylvia Guerrieri is the new varsity field hockey coach this year, ascending from her position on the JV staff. She has been coaching field hockey at different levels ever since her own collegiate play — like Reed, she does not lack experience.

“My goal for the first season as varsity coach was to expand the knowledge and increase the skill level of all the players on the team,” said Guerrieri.

It would certainly seem like she has been successful, as her team has been incredibly competitive this season. With the exception of one fluke game, all of their losses have been by one point.

“I believe I’ve changed the mindset of the team. They can compete with every school that we play against, regardless of past results,” said Guerrieri.

As the season starts to wrap up, Guerrieri is in awe of the phenomenal attitude her team has had all throughout the season. Hopefully, Guerrieri will be around for a very long time.

All of these coaches will create an entirely new environment in Yorktown sports and provide tons of newfound energy to their teams.