Maddie McNamee and Elizabeth Noe

Maddie McNamee and Elizabeth Noe

Belle from Beauty and The Beast is known as the intelligent, book-loving Disney princess, and sophomore Elizabeth Noe is nothing less. Similar to Belle, Noe enjoys spending her free time reading fantasy books, such as Harry Potter, and also relates to Belle’s musical aspect, as Noe loves to play the guitar.

“I relate to Belle because of her reading, and also my dad is a smart, English major, always using big words, so I feel like I relate to her on that,” said Noe.

Noe is an individual in many aspects, one being that she goes with the bold move of ordering a burrito at Chipotle instead of the typical bowl most would choose.

“I definitely choose burrito. I just like getting the huge goodness in one bite, you just pick it all up,” said Noe.

Self-described as fun, artistic and smart, Noe has a great personality that is hard not to love. She relates to a cloud leopard, even claiming it to be her spirit animal.

“I have this clouded-leopard, a picture of it was given to me in fifth grade for an animal assignment and just fell in love. It’s just so cute,” said Noe.

Noe proves she is as smart as she claims, and knows how to act reasonably when faced with a difficult situation, such as deciding what food she would eat for the rest of her life.

“I would choose pizza. You can put different toppings on it, so I could get away with getting some protein and get a lot of variety from that,” said Noe.

Noe also shared her fun side when she answered with no hesitation about her favorite dance move.

“Oh my gosh I love the whole disco thing, the disco point is great,” said Noe.

Next came the true test of character, for one’s opinion of Taylor Swift can tell a lot about a person. To no surprise, Noe answered with the perfect response.

“I try not to judge unless I know the person, but she seems like she is well spoken and I do not think that she is dumb like some other celebrities out there. She definitely has a performance persona, if you see her perform she has a lot of big moments. She seems nice,” said Noe

The Sentry family is thrilled to welcome Noe to the staff. Her cheerful presence and charming personality will be a perfect fit. Noe is excited for what is to come in the future with The Sentry, along with her high school career in general.

“I have no idea what I want to do with my life and college, so I am hoping to perhaps figure that out here,” said Noe.

When asked if there was an especially interesting moment in her life, junior Maddie McNamee said, “I’m not really a very interesting person so that’s kinda of hard for me to answer.” However, McNamee is much more interesting than her statement may lead you to believe. McNamee is not only a seasoned writer and field hockey athlete, but an avid Taylor Swift fan. “I went to the 1989 concert, and I loved it, and it just made me love her more,” said McNamee.

A person’s charitableness says a great deal about them, and McNamee certainly has distinctive philanthropy. When asked what she would do with a billion dollars, McNamee said:

“I would donate half to charity because I don’t think I could spend a billion myself … I would definitely be very into donating to girls in countries that aren’t as privileged as us.”

Elaborating on her choice in charitableness, McNamee said, “I’m all about feminism and giving other girls the opportunity to live like we do, because I don’t think a lot of people realize how fortunate we are.” With the remaining money, she would have a seat reserved for her behind home plate at the National’s Stadium and travel the world. “I’ve actually never been out of the United States, and I think that’s awful. I’ve always wanted to go to London … I think I would want to go to Africa too,” she said.

When asked to describe herself in three words, McNamee said:

“I would definitely say weird … It’s good to be weird. I think it’s good to embrace yourself and embrace your weirdness, so you can show your individuality. So I would say I’m weird.”

She is also decidedly outgoing and anxious thanks to heavy-duty classes. This anxiety showed through when she met President Barack Obama this past year, and they had a conversation about what most teenagers’ lives revolve around: school. Obama asked her if she was stressed out and she confided in him that she was only a little stressed. “I had an AP [advanced placement] World test the next day, and I was freaking inside, heading home so I could study,” she said.

McNamee has such opportunities as meeting the president because her father is a photojournalist, as his father before him. She explained that she found herself joining the Sentry, not only because of her love of assigned essays and otherwise lack of elective, but because of her father’s and grandfather’s positions. McNamee decided that although she was not a photographer, she had the ability to carry on her family’s journalism streak with her love of writing:

“It was definitely the best decision I’ve made in high school … Now I actually want to pursue journalism as my career.”

McNamee had some very sweet things to say about her mother and how she has influenced her life.

“My mom is definitely influential to me; she’s definitely taught me a lot of life lessons. I take after her a lot. She’s just a strong woman,” she said.

McNamee also has great respect and admiration for her grandmother.

“She’s a very strong woman, she came to the U.S. from Poland during World War II. She was a part of the Holocaust there, so she’s very strong … She’s gone through a lot, but I think it shows a lot that she was able to come here and have a good life,” she said.

Forever the family gal, when asked what she would do if she woke up from a seven-year coma, McNamee said, “I would definitely call up all my family.” Then, realizing that she would be so far out of the loop she would not be able to see the edge of it, McNamee said, “I think I’d check the news, to see what I had been missing.”

The world is not safe from a time vortex that destroys the space-time continuum with McNamee around. When asked if she would rather travel to the future or the past if possible, McNamee said:

“I think I would time travel to the past and meet my parents when they were younger. I would want to see what they were like in high school to compare myself so I could then go back to the future, to where we are now.”  

Thinking also to her love of literature, McNamee said:

“Also, I would definitely go to the Roaring Twenties…. I’m a big Gatsby fan.”