Laura Crawford

Laura Crawford

Sophomore Laura Crawford is the poster child for a student athlete. She is a star academic and star lacrosse player. Crawford has fought through a torn ACL and her hard work has paid off. She is currently the top scorer of the varsity girls lacrosse team, and plays a key role in the success of the team thus far in in 2015, helping lead them to their eight victories.

Q: When did you start playing lacrosse?

A: I started playing lacrosse in about fourth grade, because my older brother played it, and my dad played it when he was a kid.

Q: What position do you play?

A: I play midfield for Yorktown, and I like it because I can be a part of everything on the field.

Q: What is your favorite aspect of being part of a team?

A: My favorite part of being on a team is getting to play with great people and make new friends.

Q: Do you plan on playing after high school?

A: Yes, I plan on playing after high school, hopefully a college with a strong academic program.

Q: How did you get back after tearing your ACL?

A: I had to do lots of physical therapy, and I had to get my confidence on the field back.

Q: What struggles did you face?

A: When I first came back, I was a lot slower than I had expected, so I had to work to overcome that. I’m in a lot better shape this season than I was last season, and I feel like my game has gotten a lot better, too.

Q: Do you have any pre-game rituals or superstitions?

A: Usually, I try to play some wall ball to get in the mood to play a game.

Q: How do you balance school and lacrosse?

A: I try to get as much homework as possible done before I leave school so that I have less to do when I get home. If at all possible, I try to get it done early in the day.

Q: What has been your favorite moment of the season?

A: My favorite moment of the season so far was team-bonding, when we all tie-dyed shirts together.

Q: What do you hope for the team in the future?

A: I hope that the team goes pretty far in the playoffs. I think we could do it, because we have a better team this year than we’ve had in a while.