Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice

By Emily Burke

Sentry Staff Reporter

It is not every day that teachers compete in a dance off, the cheerleaders and dance team perform eye catching routines and students from every grade shove their faces into a pie to bring glory to their class. Oh, and also when the seniors on the football team subject themselves to temporary social media fame by performing a hysterical dance routine wearing short denim shorts and cowboy hats in front of the entire school.  The senior football dance not only creates funny memories, but also brings up the burning question: Where do they get those shorts?

Although students look forward to these ridiculous dance routines, there is always controversy about whether the dances “go too far.” However, there is no real validity in the argument that these dances are inappropriate and offensive. First of all, pep rallies are supposed to be about the students of Yorktown, not the parents or teachers that are making the complaints. Pep rallies are supposed to be fun events that get students excited for games and promote school spirit and pride. A major part of maintaining school spirit is tradition, and the hilarious football senior dances have certainly become a Yorktown tradition. Past pep rallies have featured similar choreography and similar soundtracks. The 2012 football dance featured songs like “Gangnam Style” by Psy and “Don’t Cha” by The Pussycat Dolls. In 2013, the seniors recreated the popular vine by Terio, “Ooh Kill Em”. This year, the repertoire included a dance to “Anaconda” by Nicki Minaj. Each of these performances has reflected popular current trends, and was meant to be something students would recognize and laugh at together.

Furthermore, students understand that the dance routines are supposed to be a joke. They are not intended to offend anyone or hurt anyone’s feelings. They also do not use explicit music; the lyrics are always appropriately censored. The seniors never use their dances to make fun of people or ideas; they are simply meant to be entertaining for everyone.

Another factor that makes the dances completely acceptable is that they are fairly similar year to year. There are no surprises; there is always some variation of a funny outfit, popular, upbeat songs and dance moves that you would never expect to see from a teenage boy. Although some teachers see the dance moves as “provocative”, that is not the intended reaction. In fact, the players are not focused on teachers’ reactions at all. The only reactions that matter to them are those of their fellow students. Funny dances like the ones performed by the football team are also no more inappropriate than dance team performances. They use the same kinds of songs and the same genres of music, and sometimes even have pretty similar dance moves.

And who is the judge of what is “unacceptable” or “offensive”? If the performances are not making students uncomfortable, then is there really anything wrong with them? The answer is obviously no.

The bottom line is that any criticism of the dance routines is prejudiced and arbitrary. What makes the football dance more inappropriate than dance team or cheerleading performances?    Although this is not the kind of sexism that is usually a concern in school, criticism of these dances certainly falls under that category. If students are no longer allowed to enhance school spirit with harmless fun, where will this unjustified censorship strike next? Freedom of speech? Freedom of press? The freedom to post yet another selfie from the spirit day? There is no way to predict which fundamental right will be trampled on next.

Featured Image by Libby Boda/SENTRY