Travel the World… After School!

Travel the World... After School!

By: Natalie Reich

Sentry Staff Reporter

Student diversity is crucial to any school’s knowledge of the world. International club is a perfect way to bring students together to discuss different cultures and learn new things about the student population’s mixed diversity. The club not only celebrates culture through activities and presentations, but also holds fun educational events.  Members of the International Club host and participate in multiple events centered around cultural dances, food and locations. The International Club expands one’s knowledge about new interesting cultures around the world.

Students of all cultures and nationalities are represented in International club
Students of all cultures and nationalities are represented in International club.
Photo by Rachel Finley

The head of the International Club is a HIgh Intensity Language Training teacher, Christina Smith-Gajadhar. She supervises and makes sure things always run smoothly during meetings and activities. They meet the second and fourth Tuesday of every month in room 318. Along with Smith-Gajadhar, there are leadership positions within the club. Despite this, it is run as more of a whole. Everyone involved in the club helps plan and contribute ideas. The students that are a part of the International Club come from a variety of different places. This allows for the club to learn and discuss various interesting cultures and expand their knowledge all across the globe.

“It’s a very diverse group. We have people from pretty much everywhere. There’s North, South, America, Europe, Asia, Africa- all represented in the club. Whether it is that they came this year to the United States or that they came in second grade or their great grandmother came, they still have some ties (to their specific culture),” said Smith-Gajadhar.

The goal of the International Club is fairly simple.

“On the one hand I guess it’s to provide a comfortable setting for kids who may not feel part of the whole mainstream at Yorktown, where they can be with lots of kids from other countries and share their cultures and share their countries. But it is also a place for kids who are very much a part of the mainstream but are interested in other countries and cultures,” said Smith-Gajadhar.

It is not only a place for students who are possibly from other countries and looking for a way to share their culture, but also a perfect place for other students to learn about new and exciting cultures. The International Club welcome and encourages any student who is interested.

The International Club hosts the well-known International Night in May every year. It is a night of cultural food, dance, music and activities. Students involved with the club get an opportunity to share their own culture with the rest of the school. Unfortunately it is directly after the spring musical and right before AP testing this year, so it may be overlooked by many, but it is without a doubt a night full of cultural fun. There have been many different groups that perform at International Night. Some even expand their display of to outside of the school.

“We’ve had a lot of Bolivian dance groups that go around the state, or several states performing at various festivals and all,” explained Smith-Gajadhar.

All in all, the International Club is a great way to get out there and learn information about different cultures to broaden global perspective. It is important to remember that the United States is not the only country in the world and other cultures have an impact on every person’s life. This club is a perfect way to learn new things and meet new friends. 

Featured Image by Rachel Finley. Drawing by Ochirnyam Baasandorj