It’s the Most Stressful Time of the Year

The holiday season is known for being one of the happiest times of the year. With the decorations, parties and gifts that come with the celebrations of holidays such as Christmas and Hanukkah, it is no surprise that the months of November and December have received this title. However, behind this cheery facade lies the overwhelming stress associated with this time of year. 

To celebrate the different holidays that occur at the end of the year, dozens of gatherings and parties are held. The arrangement of each get-together is met with the challenge of buying supplies, sending out invites and decorating a venue. With little time to plan, hosts of said parties may deal with the stress of bringing their event to fruition. Because get-togethers are common around this time of year, party supplies and decorations are in limited supply. The closer the holidays get, the harder it becomes to throw parties that meet the criteria of a holiday gathering. 

The holidays, most notably Christmas, have become commercialized events that revolve around the buying and selling of gifts. Families all over the world experience the financial burden of spending hundreds of dollars on presents for their loved ones. Some of the most popular gifts this year are upwards of $1000, such as the newest iPhone or a Peloton bike. While no feeling compares to surprising someone you care about with an item they have always wanted, expenses often limit one’s options for gift-giving. 

Furthermore, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the global supply chain has been disrupted. Finding popular items to fulfill holiday wish lists has become increasingly hard this year, as the issues have caused shortages of hundreds of items. The gifts that are available will likely be more expensive than in years past due to higher demand. Among the issues with the supply chain is the delayed shipping and delivery of items from dozens of companies. Retailers urged people to start shopping as early as possible to ensure their orders arrive on time. Even so, ordering early does not guarantee that packages will come before the holidays, as shipping has been getting delayed by months. Because COVID-19 is still a prevalent issue, in-store shopping has decreased this year, leaving many to resort to online options. With a spike in the amount of online shoppers, the stress around getting a delivery on time is more common this year than ever. 

Family gatherings are a large part of the holiday season, as people all over the world travel home to celebrate with their loved ones. For many, the holidays are the only time of year that they spend with their family. Though reuniting with relatives can be an exciting event, it can also prove to be challenging for those with difficult family relationships. Throughout the course of the year, avoiding family gatherings is a fairly simple task, as life gets in the way and plans conflict. However, around the holidays many are forced to bite the bullet and face their estranged family members. 

From elementary school to college, students are rewarded with a break from school to celebrate the holidays with their families. Though students all over the world long for the period in December and January in which they do not have to wake up early or complete homework, the weeks leading up to break are often packed with tests and assignments. Teachers take pride in eliminating as much stress for students over break as they can. However, this means that all tests must be taken before the holidays. The week before break is often composed of hours studying and working to turn in assignments before the deadline. 

There is no doubt that the holiday season can be the happiest time of the year for those who engage in positive family bonding activities, gift exchanges and celebrations. However, meeting the expectations that the holidays set leads to stress and worry for a vast majority of people. It can become overwhelming to keep up with the chaos of Christmas, Hanukkah, Diwali and other events towards the end of the year. The stress of the season is often overlooked. By acknowledging the pressure many face this time of year, the number of grinches and scrooges each year will hopefully lessen and spirits can be lifted.