Girls Soccer Team Brings Home the State Championship Title

Girls Soccer defeated Kellam High School one to zero to bring home the championship

courtesy of YHS Sports

courtesy of YHS Sports

Matthew Cornfield and Ryan Van Kirk, Sentry Staff Reporter

The girl’s soccer team won the state finals on Saturday June 10, a feat that had never been accomplished up until now. They defeated Kellam High School one to zero to bring home the championship. Many Yorktown students attended the game to support the girls and celebrate their victory.

Sophomore Cadyn Westhoff, a midfielder on the girls soccer team, was excited about their huge win. All of the hard work that C Westhoff and her teammates had put in throughout the season had paid off.

“I felt relieved and that we deserved the win more than any other team. It was the perfect way to end the season and for our seniors to end their high school careers,” said C Westhoff.

Junior fan, Quentin Powers, was one of the students in attendance. Powers is an avid soccer fan who watches both professional and the Yorktown soccer teams.

“I have been too a lot of games this year, both boys and girls; I was ecstatic to see the girls play so well and win the whole thing,” said Powers.

Senior Kiely Westhoff was a leader on the team and was an integral part of why the girls were able to win the state final. Under her leadership the team worked hard and bonded together.

“We trained really hard and spent a lot of time together on and off the field to build chemistry and get our minds in the right place,” K Westhoff said.

Senior Aidan Hessler was also in attendance at the girls soccer game. Hessler is a fan of the game and watches soccer all throughout the year. After the game Hessler was excited for the girls and was celebrating with all of the of the other fans in the hype squad.

“The players were all ecstatic and started a mosh pit in the middle of the field. Everyone in the hype squad just went nuts, it was a cool experience. Everyone was proud to be a patriot that day,” said Hessler.

In preparation for the game, the girls trusted their hard work and skill to bring them victory. They knew if they played their game they were capable of beating anyone; they did not need to change anything to win.

“We were all mentally and physically ready for the game, but we didn’t make any big changes to the game. We knew that if we played our game we could win.” said K Westhoff.

The hype squad celebrated the win from the student section, and the fans were almost as excited as the girls on the field. Everyone recognized what a great achievement this was.

“We did not rush the field [at first] even though we wanted to, we let the teams shake hands and clear the field before we celebrated the state championship,” said Powers.

The girls soccer team had high expectations entering the season, but few would have predicted a state championship in their future. However, with the leadership of the seniors the girls were able to take their team all the way states.

“I had been to about five games this year. I knew they were going to be good this year, but they certainly outperformed my expectations,” said Hessler

The support of the hype squad was appreciated by the players on the team. Playing in front of their friends inspired the girls to play their best and win.

“It was an amazing feeling to have the support of our friends in the biggest game of our high school careers,” said K Westhoff.

The entire community is proud of the girls soccer team and their incredible accomplishment. Winning the state championship is a fitting ending for the seniors, who spent their high school careers and lives training for this.