The #Changeisreal at Yorktown

Students wear a mix of shorts, jeans and long sleeves to handle the different temperatures in school
Sydney McMahon

As I walk into my first class of the day, I feel a cold chill overcome me. I make sure to hold my coffee a little closer and tug my sweater down. All my classes are in the same building so I would expect that my last-minute-thrown-on-outfit would be a perfect fit for the school temperature. I am reminded by my second period that my flip flops were the right move as I walk into a sauna. Sweat has never tasted so sweet.

Our school’s temperature seems to range from a tundra to our favorite beach vacation spots. By fourth quarter, it has become survival of the fittest for which students can dress the most appropriately to suit each individual room. Students have mastered the sweats and t-shirts look to minimize completely heating up. Others find comfort in sports shorts and bringing an oversized sweater in case one class has icicles hanging from the ceiling in the morning. Here are some helpful tips I have discovered.

Bring A Waterbottle

One of the best ways to combat the heat is to always carry a water bottle around the school. Drinking chilled water is a quick way to cool down as well as an excuse to get out of the classroom. I typically flash my water bottle up and raise my eyebrows to alert my teacher that I will be stepping out to refill my sticker-covered cup of steel. I also love watching the numbers add up of the number of plastic water bottles being saved. Not only am I gracing myself with hydration, but I am saving the environment.

Sit Closest to the Fan

Aim to sit in direct view of the fan. The propellers only have so much power to push wind throughout the room. When you first walk in, scan the chairs still available in the room. Or if you are an overachiever or just sick of not having any fan coverage, make sure you are the first one to walk in. Or if you are lucky to enough to have Advanced Placement United States History with history teacher Kevin Bridwell, you are bound to be covered in any corner of the room.

Bring A Blanket

My greatest tip to stay warm is to bring your hand-knitted blanket. To start, it is not everyday that a kid is covered from shoulders to toes in a childhood blanket. It is a cool thing to observe and it is even cooler to be the kid shielded under it. Jokes aside, it is a comfortable way to stay warm in class. You can just throw a blanket on and suddenly go from a cold December night to a nice bonfire with your friends.

Wear Shorts Under Your Sweatpants

One of the most important things to keep in mind every morning is dressing appropriately for any weather the world or the school may throw at you. Usually when I first step outside my door, there is a chilly dew that sits atop my front lawn. It is a harsh reminder that my bare legs will always be a victim to the cold. Therefore, it is good idea to dress for all occasions. If you wear shorts under your sweats, you can step out of your house in comfortable style and warmth. Yet, when you walk into that class that is just a bit too warm, you are able to rip them off and rock your favorite shorts.

Draw War Paint

Lastly, fiercely face the changes in weather by drawing war paint on your cheeks. Two dark painted lines can also be a sign of school spirit and the courage of standing up to the unknown air in each new battle (AKA the classroom).

Despite the exhaustion that may come from accommodating to all the different temperatures, everyone can still agree that Yorktown is a pretty awesome place to be.