Amanda MacKaye to the Rescue: G-Scale Support Employee of the Year

Ms. MacKaye is known for her humor and kindness
Bergen Romness

A teacher’s job is not easy. Keeping track of all of the curriculum that needs to be taught, papers that need to be given and books that need to be organized and handed out can be time consuming and stressful. But have no fear, administrative assistant Amanda MacKaye is here! Recipient of the G-Scale Support Employee of the Year award, MacKaye has excelled at assisting teachers in the quest to educate children for years.

MacKaye has been part of the staff since 2008, when she stumbled upon a job working in the attendance office. Nine years later, MacKaye is one of the friendliest and most helpful staff members, willing to help anyone at the drop of a hat.

“I never expected to be working in a school; I found myself in a situation like many people who needed a job and a friend of mine said that I should come work at Yorktown…. I applied for a job in attendance not really knowing what that meant and somehow all these years have passed and I cannot imagine working anywhere else,” MacKaye said.

When she moved from attendance to the English office it was new territory, but as many years have passed, MacKaye has truly made the job her own.

“When I moved from attendance that was one of the hardest things to adjust to because when I first started in the English office, I did not get to cross over with as many students as I did in attendance and I really missed them. Somehow that has changed to [having] many students in here all the time and it is great to get to know them. It helps the day go by faster for everybody,” MacKaye said.

Although her job description is to help teachers in everyday tasks, MacKaye finds herself doing much more than that.

“In general my job is to provide support to all teachers in the department, which right now I believe is 17 teachers. I assist them with whatever they might need, whether it is getting books, making copies, looking up stuff on the internet, creating documents, anything of that nature. Often what I end up doing is really being present for everyone in the building for whatever they need, including students,” MacKaye said.

Even though there is almost never an average day for MacKaye, seeing as the needs of teachers and students constantly change, there are a few givens in her daily routine.

“My morning begins with a few students who meet in here before first period and we check up on what everybody is up to. I might have things like last minute papers that are needed or books that are needed, maybe someone’s pants ripped and they need safety pins, all kinds of things happen,” MacKaye said.

Not only do teachers benefit from MacKaye’s constant assistance, but she considers her job essential to a student’s ability to succeed in school.

“I think that the school definitely needs employees that are not bound to the classroom. Kids need other people to reflect off of, and I think that having lots of other people in the building welcome students into their space helps everyone feel like having a great day is completely possible,” MacKaye said.

Many teachers such as AP English 11 teacher Jeffrey Bunting have seen the first hand effects of MacKaye’s contributions to the wellbeing of students.

“I know several students who were checked out of school mentally and found Ms. MacKaye or Ms. MacKaye found them and that gave them a safe place that they could go … Ms. MacKaye treats all students with respect, she does not treat them like children … she treats them as full human beings,” Bunting said

MacKaye’s job continues to evolve as the needs of students and teachers change. Along with those changes come nuances of her perception of the job at hand.

“The longer I am here the more I feel empowered to create the job that needs to be done. I have a job description and things I have to do, but the more I am trusted and depended upon, the more I can shape the job into really serving all the needs that need to be met,” MacKaye said.

Yorktown is lucky to have someone as devoted to helping others as MacKaye is. Stop by room 246 anytime to experience MacKaye’s welcoming presence; she is truly here for everyone.