The Best Place to Live

Arlington was voted the best place to live in America
Arlington was voted the “best place to live in America”
Bergen Romness

Arlington was called “the best place to live in America” by the Washington Post. In order to choose the best city, amenities, crime rates and quality of schools are put under a magnifying glass. In Arlington, there are many places to eat and a large variety of places to go. Restaurants are plentiful, there is a wide range of movie theaters, shops and different atmospheres.

Personally, I think that Arlington is a great place to live due to the overwhelming sense of community and things to do. Arlington also has some of the best public schools in the country, which impacts students (especially high schoolers) who want to have a good foundation of knowledge going into college.

We are very fortunate to have such great schools, teachers and staff to help us through the journey we call high school.

Yorktown High School is a Blue Ribbon high school. According to the U.S. Department of Education, this award is given to schools “based on their overall academic excellence or their progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups.” Additionally, the neighborhoods in Arlington are very welcoming and each offers a new atmosphere along with friendly people. It is also helpful that the neighborhoods are in a good location in order to have an easy commute to school.

Earl Msimanga is a sophomore who is knowledgeable about Arlington and its surroundings. “The commute to Yorktown is so fast. It’s five minutes away from my house. Traffic is barely a problem because there are multiple routes to go to Yorktown from my house,” Msimanga said.

Arlington also has a diverse array of restaurants. No matter what kind of food you are in the mood for, you can be sure to find it here. There is everything from fast food, such as McDonald’s and Wendy’s, to fancier restaurants, such as Rays the Steaks and Whitlows on Wilson.

Among students in Arlington, Harrison, a shopping center with lots of restaurants and a grocery store, is a favorite place to go to eat. The best places to eat in Arlington are “Peter Chang, Ghin Na Ree, Taqueria el Poblano and Thirsty Bernie, ” Msimanga said.

The nightlife in Arlington is also very active and energetic. There are always restaurants that are packed and everyone in the community is very welcoming.

It is especially fun for high schoolers during football and basketball season because Friday nights are jam packed with fun and action. The student section at Yorktown games is a great way to spend your Friday night.

“There’s always something to do and people to hangout with,” Msimanga said.

Arlington’s location is also a factor in making it one of the most enjoyable places to live in. It is very close to Georgetown and D.C., providing it with lots of shops and an energetic atmosphere 24/7. There are also some great places to walk around that are just a short drive away like Clarendon and Old Town Alexandria. Arlington provides each age group with a different, yet enjoyable experience.