Ultimate Frisbee

Ultimate frisbee players practice non-stop, even during lunch
Alison Jones

There has been much dispute in Arlington over frisbee and its standing amongst other sports. Many students believe that it should not be included amongst other popular sports like football and baseball. However, many accept that frisbee requires a high level of physical endurance.

Frisbee has been an activity in Arlington for a long time. H-B Woodlawn receives criticism from students of other Arlington schools in relation to the debate over frisbee. Woodlawn was one of the first schools to recognize frisbee as an official sport. Following that there has been a steady uptick in the numbers of Arlingtonians joining high school frisbee teams. However while many more are joining, the tension between sports has become even more apparent.

Members of the frisbee were interviewed and all of them believe that the sport is challenging physically and requires the same level of vigorous training. Sophomore Chris Hahn is currently in his second year as a member of the team. He was asked if frisbee players should receive a varsity letter,

“Yes,” Hahn said.

Hahn was asked how the schedule has changed now that it is a sport,

“There have been fewer tournaments and practices,” Hahn said.

His response may come as a shock to people considering that typically sports become more intense once they are officially recognized by the school. On the other hand, Hahn believes that in the future frisbee will become increasingly popular. Hahn spoke about what attracted him to the sport,

“My sister played and she got me into the sport,” Hahn said.

Hahn is a determined frisbee player and heavily advocates the sport,

“It is a really fun sport and I recommend it to anyone who is interested,” Hahn said.

Frisbee has been subject to much scrutiny by those who are not involved in the sport. Most frisbee players have stayed quiet amongst all the tension. However Chris Hahn and his teammates have shown their passion for the sport even more over the years. The most impressive thing about the frisbee players is how cooperative they were while being interviewed. Although many question frisbee’s physical requirements, there is no doubt that the players are mentally disciplined.