Emily Calvert and Sophie Dalton

Emily Calvert and Sophie Dalton giving piggy-back rides for the camera.

Emily Calvert and Sophie Dalton, Sentry Staff Reporters

Sophie Dalton is a fun, friendly freshman. Her love for reading, writing and learning will make her a great addition to The Sentry Staff.

Beyond her smiling exterior, Dalton is a focused student with the hopes of inspiring people through her writing. Self-described as happy, creative and excited, Dalton radiates joy wherever she goes. As a freshman, Dalton is one of the youngest staff members, but is definitely as qualified as the older members.

From the time she was six years old, Dalton knew she was going to be a writer. After reading her favorite book The Penderwicks, Dalton fell in love with idea of being an author with an “About the Author” section herself. While most children do not follow through with their childhood dream profession, Dalton still knows this is exactly what she was made for.

“When I was six years old, my mom read this book called The Penderwicks and afterwards she read the ‘About the Author’ description and it said that when the author was eight years old she decided to be a writer, so then I decided that I wanted to be a writer and then from there, I just started writing,” Dalton said.

“The characters are all amazing and you can just read it over and over again and it is still good,” Dalton said.

Her love for the Olympics and sushi has made her want to travel to Japan.

“I just really like sushi and the Olympics will be there in four years, so that would be a cool time to go,” Dalton said.

Dalton’s smiling self will be an amazing addition to the staff and The Sentry family is so happy to have her on the 2016-2017 staff.  Dalton’s unique perspective and young age will add something special to the staff.

Emily Calvert is a senior who spent most of her summer giving back to others. She spent a month volunteering in a remote village in Uganda called Zirobwe. Calvert worked with an organization where she lived with Ugandan families, which taught her her all about the culture of the country. While in Uganda, Calvert worked with empowering women, and helping them make jewelry to be sold in the United States. On top of that she started a youth group for teenagers in the village.

“It was just a really rewarding experience,” Calvert said.

Calvert found it surprising that even though the people of Zirobwe live in poverty, they give so much.

“Whenever I went to visit a family, they would offer me whatever they had and that was really beautiful to see because in the States it’s a completely different culture.”

She also felt inspired by an eighteen year old named Marine who never had a proper education, but is working very hard to get one.

“She taught me so many life lessons and the importance of determination,” Calvert said.

Calvert is planning on going back to Uganda for a longer amount of time. She wants to go back for at least three months.

“It just really transformed my life, I learned so much about myself and independence, but also about serving others.” She also recommends Uganda to everyone because “the experience of diving into a new culture is like no other.”

Along with going to Uganda, Calvert got to do many other interesting things this summer. She attended Best Buddies International Leadership Conference at Indiana University. She also went to Plan International Leadership Academy, and nannied this summer. Out of all of the places she got to go this summer, Calvert said that her favorite was definitely Uganda.

Calvert had a very great summer filled with many memorable experiences. It seems hard to top, but she is looking forward to next summer. This coming summer she is most excited to get ready for college. Calvert is looking at the University of San Diego and Virginia Tech.

“I’m excited to see where I’ll be then.”