Are Rankings Reliable or Just Plain Out Unjustifiable?

The varsity boys soccer team enjoyed a tremendous season, in which they won a conference championship and advanced to states

Kate Cressey

Kate Cressey

Gigi Richardson, Sentry Staff Reporter

Washington-Lee High School is Yorktown’s biggest rival; that is no secret. The divide is mainly between sports and this year has been rough for Yorktown. First football, basketball, then we lost our first games against Washington and Lee this year in both Men and Women’s soccer games. Yet now it seems a new leaf has turned. Men and Women’s Soccer beat W-L in the Semi-Finals of the Conference Tournaments. The Yorktown’s Men’s Soccer Team advanced to Regional Finals, competing once again against W-L for their final showdown of the season. The game had high stakes already but knowing who ever wins knocks out their rival from the Regional title, intensified it. W-L soccer did, however, come out with the victory with a score of 2-0 in the regional match. Since both teams made it to Regional Finals, they both moved on to States. Yorktown lost in the Semi-Finals of States while W-L won States.

While the game was important, it raises some questions. As of Thursday W-L, is ranked number two in the nation for high school boys soccer teams, and Yorktown is ranked 33. Even though they  are rivals, they have to give credit when credit is due. But is it due? W-L and Yorktown wound up in the same exact spot yet W-L is ranked much higher. This begs the question of how reliable rankings really are. Let us go over the facts to decide.

Washington and Lee had a regular season record of 11 wins and two ties. They also have the National Gatorade Boys Soccer Player of the Year, Lucas Mendes. Additionally, W-L has Maycol Nunez who received the title of All Met Player of the Year last year. These are huge honors in the sports world so that definitely brought their rankings up.

Meanwhile, Yorktown won five games this season, lost five and tied three this season. While their record was tied between wins and loses, they went on a winning streak and won the Liberty Conference.

While W-L is no doubt an admirable team, I believe their rankings are inflated. If a 33 ranked team can beat a number 2 ranked team once and lose by one goal in the first, then the rankings are skewed.