A Word of Thanks From Seniors to Teachers

As the class of 2015 is quickly getting ready to depart for bigger and better adventures, a few students were asked to choose a teacher to thank. Whether thankful  for inspiration, understanding of a subject, or mere enjoyment of a class, these students had great things to say about Yorktown teachers. Seniors Alex Hayes and Grace Edquist chose to thank their French teacher of two years, Roseline Berger.  Hayes is heading to William and Mary in the fall and Edquist will be at the University of Virginia. Christopher Newport University bound Ellen Nye, also voiced some words of thanks. Nye has played varsity basketball since freshman year and will continue playing at college.

“She’s challenged our class and made it enjoyable to take French for the three years I’ve had her as a teacher. I would say she is hands down the best French teacher at Yorktown, and she really wants all of her students to understand the language and do well. She’s one of the main reasons I decided to continue taking French throughout high school, and I may continue to take it in college. I’d like to thank her for everything she has done for me and the foreign language department as a whole at Yorktown,” said Hayes.

Similarly, Edquist had only positive things to say about Berger:

“I would like to thank Madame Berger for being my French teacher for three years. Despite my initial trepidation with French class, I soon realized how captivating the French language and culture could be because of her. She made the class interesting through activities, projects and presentations. Although I appreciated them less at the time, looking back I realized how much they helped me improve. Without Madame Berger, I would have no knowledge of issues that currently face French culture, as well as its history. She exposed us to all areas including film, media, books, documentaries and music. Through these techniques we learned about so many new cultures. Without the open atmosphere that she created, I would have never have been able to ask questions and be curious.  Madame Berger ignited a curiosity and engagement about French for me and helped me develop my thinking. She is somehow, on a very subtle level, able to instill a belief in her students’ capabilities and you do not want to disappoint.  She creates an environment where your brain is enticed into thinking in French.  I would never have had any confidence in my French speaking ability without her consistent help and coaching everyday in class. Thank you so much Madame Berger for an unforgettable 3 years!”  said Edquist.

Nye was in the Teachers for Tomorrow course at Yorktown for her senior year and loved the class and her teacher.

“I would like to thank Mrs. Molle. I had so much fun and learned a lot from her in Teachers for Tomorrow this year. She kept the classroom fun and interactive while also teaching us valuable information that we will take with us in our lives. I had a great time in that class and loved visiting Tuckahoe and learning about education. That class made me decide that I want to be a teacher, and Mrs. Molle was a big part of that. I hope that I can be half as great of a teacher as she is.”

Whether inspiring students to pursue different careers, teaching them about foreign culture, or even keeping them in a subject they like, it is clear that the teaching staff at  Yorktown is nothing but star-studded. Even though two teachers are being highlighted here the entirety of the Yorktown staff has been nothing but excellent for 2015 — something that is greatly appreciated and does not go unnoticed.