Every Buddy is A Champion

Anything can be accomplished when working together, and that is exactly the attitude of the new unified track team coming to our school. Champions Together works with students with and without intellectual developmental disabilities, and joins them together through a track team.The team is a part of the Special Olympics Virginia program and typically works alongside Best Buddies. Over the past few years, Yorktown’s Best Buddies Program has grown to be one of the school’s largest clubs, for over one hundred students are apart of it. Champions Together hopes to be as big of a success, and encourages all students to sign up for the spring season. Sophomore and co founder of the team, Carly Grand, is excited for the upcoming season.

“Of course I hope to have a big team and to do well in the competitions, but I also hope we can all build stronger friendships, and become unified as one,” said Grand.

Sign-ups were held March 12 at the interest meeting, but anyone can join at anytime. Practices will begin March 16, and will take place every Monday and Thursday, where the team will stretch, train, run and practice as one to prepare for the different events held in the meets. Events will include long jump, shot put, a softball throw, walking, and running. Champions Together is both a club and a team, so anyone can sign up to participate in fundraising and events as a part of the club, however, there can only be a certain amount of students who compete. Only a select few will be partnered up with a student with an intellectual developmental disability to compete in the meets, which will take place Saturday, April 25 and Friday, May 1. All are welcome to show up to practices.

“I am doing Champions together because I want to make an impact by helping students with intellectual developmental disabilities have fun. We get to run around all together and it’s just going to be a great experience,” said sophomore and member of the team, Demetri Nicholakos.

“My favorite aspect of the program is having a good group of people brought together, to be able to exercise with and make getting fit more enjoyable,” said Grand.

Champions Together is actually its own, separate club from Best Buddies, however, the two will be working together a lot, which will hopefully help merge the two together later on.

“Hopefully it will attract more people to Best Buddies, and also bring a physical element to the club and actually bring a sense of teamwork, since we will all be on a team together,” said Grand.

One of the coaches of the team is math teacher Brannon Burnett, who has played a large role in Best Buddies so far, and cannot wait to do the same with Champions Together.

“The goal is to give the buddies an extra opportunity to hang out with their peer buddies, to have fun, socialize, exercise and to have a structured sports activity to engage in. I am really looking forward to it, I expect us to have a lot of fun, and anyone who participates is going to have a lot of fun,” said Burnett.