Jake Smerchansky as Milo Dean

Jake Smerchansky as Milo Dean

Each year, the Theater IV classes create their own 30 minute plays called One Person Shows.  They spend the entire year, and even parts of their Theater II class, working with their assigned student groups, or “outside eyes,” to write, direct and star in their own plays.  Theater teacher Carol Cadby supports her students in their enormous assignments.  Jake Smerchansky focused his show on Milo Dean from the movie The Skeleton Twins.

Students frequently flip flop between two characters as they attempt to focus their Shows.  Smerchansky knew almost instantly that he wanted to focus on Milo, and he found that he really related to his character.

“Milo has a really close bond with his sister, and so do I. I’ve got her back and she’s got mine, just like Milo and Maggie. Milo goes through a whole lot, and I haven’t gone through that much. But personality wise, Milo and I are pretty similar, which made playing him fun,” said Smerchansky.

Few classes have projects that are as truly long-term as theater’s One Person Shows, and with that come the unavoidable problems.  However, with the support of friends, outside eyes and Cadby, everyone wants these students to succeed.

“The most difficult part would be the doubts. They really get to you!” said Smerchansky.

The entirety of a student’s time in the Theater Department is a learning experience.  Some of what they learn goes into creating the One Person Show, but some of the information is a life lesson students carry into college and beyond.

“A One Person Show is a huge thing, and it’s even kind of scary while you’re doing it, and it’s by far the biggest thing I’ve done in my whole four years at Yorktown. So now, I know that if I can write, direct and act in a show all by myself, everything else should be a breeze,” said Smerchansky.