The Trial Schedule: I’ll Pass

The Trial Schedule: I’ll Pass

Explaining the school’s quasi-block, even-odd days to my parents has been a lost cause since day one, and there is simply no point in trying to explain it to students who attend other high schools.  Needless to say, the schedule that has been implemented for the past 20 years is confusing.  Systems, in order to remain effective, must be refurbished once and awhile.  As such, I was an avid supporter of this trial concocted by the school’s administration.  Yet after the trial commenced, I found that this new schedule did not properly address what I thought to be fundamental issues with the current system.

CURRENT SCHEDULE CONS:

-The luck of the block draw: For a Yorktowner, a huge part of your schedule is which classes you have blocked… because even on the block days, called “even” or “odd,” three of your classes (and lunch) are not.

-Teacher troubles: Many teachers teach a subject to classes that have block, and then the same subject to a class without block on the same day.  Essentially, this means two lesson plans, two sets of homework and two different schedules for teachers to work around.

-The notorious homework build up: The headache that transpires the day before a block period is a weekly hurdle for students.  Teachers kindly assign extra homework for the day you did not have class (due to the block schedule), but it is not like you actually did your work according to that schedule.  What is high school without a some good old procrastination??

TRIAL SCHEDULE CONS:

-The block brick:  Long classes.  Everyday.  All day (except for lunch periods and third period).  But still some random “anchor” days with every class and without Patriot Period?

-Patriot Period: A nice gesture, but the alliteration in the name was probably the best part.  Mostly, it was a time when people clogged up the hallways or the atrium for 20 minutes and talked too loudly.  The library was always full and the computers always taken.  Not to mention the simple fact that 20 minutes is not enough time to make real headway into a project.  Some teachers after third period may have seen an increase in completed homework from those who scrambled to fill out a worksheet during those few minutes, but kids, just do your homework at home.  Please.

THE BEST OPTION (IN MY MIND):

I applaud Yorktown for attempting a new schedule; the dismissal of such a thought-out process would signify a lack of appreciation and understanding, as it is extremely difficult for the administration to balance the needs of both the students and staff.  After experiencing this trial schedule, however, I feel even more of a yearning for a consistent, daily schedule.  This would entail:

45 minute class periods every day.  A constant flow of homework.  No monotonous 90 minute class periods with that one teacher who drones on more than President Obama (pun).  A simple schedule for teachers.  Everyone’s needs met?!