Refuse to Lose

Cartoon by Margaret Doyle

Cartoon by Margaret Doyle

Andy Belilos, Sentry Staff Reporter

Tear and blood streaked faces. Wounded soldiers lying on the battlefield calling for help. Ammunition flying everywhere. Soldiers hidden behind bunkers. Frantic calls to “MOVE FORWARD”. Think this is a scene from Saving Private Ryan or Black Hawk Down? Nope. Welcome to the intense world of snowball fighting.

On snow days, less ambitious students choose to sit by their fires drinking hot cocoa and eggnog. Even worse, many choose to participate in the laughable sport of sledding. However, a dignified select few every year choose to put their lives on the line in search of glory on the battlefield.

Junior marksman Daniel McCreedy is one of those select few. His preferred battleground is the familiar territory of his own yard, and he viciously prefers to go to war with little kids for easy competition.

“Before I have my fights I usually watch Elf to get psyched up,” McCreedy said. “I’ve probably killed over a thousand people in battle.”

While he usually prefers to go commando (without gloves or mittens), McCreedy also added that if he had to choose between the two, he would pick mittens because of their superior grip.

McCreedy is also very particular with his preferred weather conditions; one can not afford to be fighting in less than ideal conditions when so much is on the line.

“Partly cloudy. No sun. Cold, preferably below freezing so the snow will stay hard and fresh,” McCreedy said.

Freshman Duncan Small could be considered a purist when it comes to snowball fighting. Small stated that he loses respect for anybody that uses any unnecessary aids such as snowball makers, cannons, and trebuchets.

“War machines are pretty noobish and show bad sportsmanship. Also, if everybody has one, it takes away from the fun.” Small said.

Small also revealed his attack strategies: getting to high ground and using the “Indiana Jones technique” which involves creating a massive snowball (a boulder) and rolling it down onto the enemy.

Most people cannot imagine anything scarier than a huge yeti scrambling towards them while simultaneously yelling and throwing snowballs. That is exactly why Small stated he would consider using costumes during a battle.

“Sure. I would love to dress up as some sort of abominable snowman to win a snowball fight or even just to wear it. That would be fun.” Small said.

Everybody has their own strategies for humiliating siblings and friends by hitting them with snowballs. However, the one constant is the joy that everybody feels after releasing said snowballs and seeing them lovingly smash into the face of an opponent.