Marching into Regionals

Julia Payne conducts the Marching Patriots.
    Photo Courtesy of Wayne Stocks

After hours of intense conditioning and long practices since August, the marching band marched all the way to the 2014 Mid- Atlantic Regional Championship, where they placed 10th out of 16 teams. There is no doubt that the school takes pride in its academic and athletic achievements, however one team that is often overlooked is the marching band.

Students in the marching band have confidence that there is a bright future for the team. This season the squad almost doubled in size. Sophomore Ben Celestino claims he thinks that  the interest level will continue to rise.

Sophomore Thomas Hassett is a proud member of the marching band, and he claims that the players have stepped up big time for this year’s competition,

“This year is by far the best since ’92, it’s been a long progression of getting better and we are at the top right now,”  said Hassett.

Students claim that the staff this past season really helped improve the team and make them come together as a whole. Unfortunately, this was the final season for the two instructors and many of the students wanted to make these staff proud for their last marching competition. WIth the loss of the staff, students will have to carry the team on their own next year.

For freshman Michael Mellett, the marching band has made life slightly harder because he had to “balance homework and practice,” but in the end the experience has been worth it because of all the new friends he has made and has made the transition into high school easier.

What most of the student body does not realize, however, is that marching band is much more than walking around and playing an instrument. Even before the season started, students were conditioning on their own. An average practice would consist of intense running, push-ups and planks. The athletic side of this sport is not for the faint of heart.

Although many of these students have been involved with various band programs since elementary school, most members claim that experience isn’t necessary in order to be a part of the marching band.

“There is a place for everybody, we love everyone,” said Sanchez.

Sophomore Emma Piveta has truly been touched by the experiences from this season.

“I have friends, I have a family, I don’t have free time, but it’s okay because I get to spend it with my favorite people. The marching band did a great job this season, and can only hope for as talent and fun next year,” said Piveta.

Although the season ended on a bittersweet note in the Mid- Atlantic Regional Championship, the members of the marching band received something much more valuable than a trophy: they were provided with an atmosphere in which they could better themselves and make new friends.