In Between Years

In Between Years

By Sophie Currie

Sentry Staff Reporter

This past fall, while many seniors were focusing on college applications, others were looking to take advantage of other options. For example, several seniors decided to take a gap year before their freshman year in college.Taking a gap year is becoming an increasingly popular choice.

Senior Molly Brueger decided to put off college for a year in order to travel to Kaohsiung, Taiwan. While there, Bruger plans to further her studies, get involved in service projects and travel to different parts of Taiwan.  The program Brueger is involved in is called the National Security Language Initiative for Youth, which is offered to students studying languages such as Arabic, Hindi, Korean, Persian, Russian and Turkish. It is Breuger’s goal to major in eitherinternational relations or east  asian studies. She hopes that this program will help give her an advantage  in college.

Breuger is aware that there are pros and cons to choosing to take a gap year. Although she will not be able to start college right away, she is excited for this coming year.

“I think having the opportunity to live abroad in another country and to be totally immersed in another language would be really fun,” said Brueger.

While taking a gap year may seem intimidating and might not be  a typical choice, for most college seniors, the decision to do so can prove to be very beneficial.

“It is an opportunity that not everyone has the chance to take, so while I have this chance I’m going to take it.”

Guidance counselor and career specialist Martie McCord agrees with Breuger. Despite the fact that students may miss an entire year of being in the same academic setting as they have been in for so long, McCord believes that a gap year can lead to great opportunities.

“Its sometimes good to take a break and see what else is in the world,” says McCord.

McCord also believes that a gap year can have a positive effect on students futures in college.

“Students might appreciate it more and be more focused,” she says,  “I think it would be a great idea for everybody.”

There are many opportunities available to students besides studying abroad during their year off. One of the most popular options among students is doing a service project through programs such as Americorps or Rustic Pathways. Still other students decide to just take the year off and save money before they head off to college.

A gap year is a  great opportunity for students to explore beyond school . This experience can help students gain worldly experience. One should always remember to keep their options open and consider taking a gap year.

Featured image Courtesy of Molly Brueger