We Love Our Teachers!

By Natalie Reich

Sentry Staff Reporter

Sometimes something as simple as a plain old “thank you” can make someone’s day. In a teacher’s case, even a small expression of gratitude from a student can make everything they do worthwhile. Teachers play a key role in shaping the way students everywhere learn and see the world by coming to work everyday to better the students’ education. The week of May 5-9 is National PTA (Parent Teacher Association) Teacher Appreciation Week. Across the globe, teachers impact the lives of young people and deserve to be appreciated, not only during this week, but all the time.

Throughout the week, The Sentry asked students around the school what qualities they think are most important in teachers and how they achieve such great success in their jobs here at school. Sophomore Andrew Acs described how he believes teachers convey themselves in such a positive manner.

“I think they should be interested in what they’re teaching and be understanding and willing to help if a student needs help,” said Acs.

He added that, “They give challenging assignments, but if they’re too challenging they either curve them or give the student help.”

Not only does Acs benefit from the knowledge passed on to him through teachers, but also how they live their lives everyday.

“I learn from them in class like with what they teach, but also how to act and portray themselves and their work. I really do like my teachers here at Yorktown,” he explained.

Teachers are truly influential in the lives of students’ – inside and outside of the classroom. They set an example for young people and show them how to be hardworking and caring.

Senior Madeline Smerchansky agreed with Acs when asked about how teachers can challenge their students and provide aid at the same time.

“I think that they can make their class challenging, but also offer as much help out of school as possible and don’t shoot down questions,” she said.

It is also important to remember that teachers have quite a hard task at hand. They have to manage all of their students’ strengths and weaknesses and try to help everyone with what they need assistance on.

“They [teachers] have to take into consideration all of their students and think about different ways of learning,” Smerchansky commented.

The job of being a teacher is definitely not easy, and students must remember all they do to try their hardest in their endeavors. After attending Yorktown for four years, Smerchansky can wholeheartedly say that she benefitted tremendously from the teachers she has had.

“I’ve learned so much in four years,” added Smerchansky.

Often there are one or two teachers that specifically stand out to a student. All of the teachers here at Yorktown phenomenal and are bound to sometimes have their own little fan club. Freshman Rachael Cohen told The Sentry about her visual arts teacher, Allen Beland.

“Everyday when I walk into Mr. Beland’s class he puts a smile on my face. I look forward to photography everyday because he makes the class fun but also interesting.  Some of the assignments we get can be difficult, but still fun,” explained Rachael.

Rachael, along with the rest of the student body, should be sure to thank all their teachers every day for their hard work and dedication.