New Classes for the 2014-2015 School Year

By: Isabelle Foley

Sentry Staff Reporter

While filling out next year’s course request form, look out for a new class that is being offered for the first time at Yorktown. Introduction to Law and World Affairs is a two-part, year-long class that will hopefully join the social studies department next year. Whether or not the class will be offered is up to the students. The minimum requirement to offer the class is 20-25 students, so do not hesitate to sign up for this exciting new program.

Due to the fact that Introduction to Law has not been offered anywhere in the county, there is little to no precedent for the curriculum. The teacher will not be decided upon until May, and the details of the class will be dependent upon their style and requirements. However, there are expectations in place for what the course will cover. This includes the basics of the justice system, both civil and criminal law, as well as constitutional law. Students will learn about the various types of crimes, constitutional and criminal procedures, trial advocacy and trial process. Other units of study may include personal injury law (torts), contract law, business law and family law.

“I think it’s a class that is really going to challenge kids’ thinking and analysis,” said social studies teacher Paige Hamrick. “You’re going to come out of there some days wondering ‘what did I just think about?’”

As the only staff member who has gone to law school, Hamrick may be teaching the class next year. Thomas Lenihan, teacher and head of the social studies department, may also teach the class, or each may teach a semester.

“If you’re interested in a field in law, law enforcement or criminal justice, it could be a fun elective to explore those topics,” said Lenihan.

As an elective class, the course will offer an experience different from a primarily textbook-based curriculum.

“I am assuming it is going to be very project based: doing a trial, proposing solutions to world problems,” said Hamrick. “It’s not an AP level…there’s no test at the end of the year to worry about.”

The second part of the class, World Affairs, offers a very different course of studies. World Affairs had previously been taught with economics, but when economics became a state required course, World Affairs failed to meet class requirements. This year, Lenihan proposed to the county that is should be paired with Intro. to Law.

“I took an Intro. to Law semester course when I was in high school, and I liked it…now it’s a course that can pair with World Affairs and it will be offered in all the high schools in Arlington,” said Lenihan.

Major topics will include (but are not limited to) genocide, the role of the United States and the State Department, terrorism, globalization and issues of the European Union and Latin American countries. Current issues regarding human rights, economics and international affairs will be discussed and debated.

“Both topics are…of high interest…The skills you are going to get out of the class translate into all of the other classes, especially AP classes,” affirmed Hamrick.

As an elective class with no prerequisites, Intro. to Law and World Affairs is the perfect class for students who want an exciting and challenging alternative to Advanced Placement classes or other electives.

“I definitely think there are potential field trips, certainly we could have some really good guest speakers, maybe a lawyer or a judge,” said Lenihan. “It just depends on, not only who teaches it, but funding for field trips and permission slips.

It also depends on the input from the student body. If you would enjoy, for example, sitting in on a trial or going to the Newseum, this may be the perfect opportunity to do so. The class can also offer skills on how to break down and justify and argument, tools that are useful not only in high school and college, but for life and a career.

There are several more new classes being offered next year. AP Physics B is being split into two classes, AP Physics 1 and AP Physics 2. Spanish Literature and Culture is another AP option for students who take or speak Spanish. American Sign Language is an exciting addition to the language program. As students turn in their course request forms, more information, including teachers, will be known about these classes. Students can broaden their options for the new school year and sign up for classes that best fit their interests.